The Dave Stevens Preservation Award is being named after the Founder and first President of Upland Heritage, originally known as Upland Historical Preservation Society. In the 1980’s, Dave and his family were so concerned about neighborhood homes being torn down and rezoned for apartments and commercial use that they started a quest to find like-minded people to join a mission to influence City policy. With a handful of neighbors he founded the organization in 1989 to change the face of the deteriorating neighborhoods and improve quality of living in the older areas of Upland.
Their vision led to a City survey of all historic properties and opened the door for preservation efforts. Working with Upland Heritage, Dave voted in the Mills Act while on the Upland City Council, helped form nine Historic Districts and was instrumental in creating the Façade Agreement with the old San Antonio Hospital. As President for two years and Vice President for many more, he worked tirelessly for preservation causes and was an active participant in almost every event that occurred with Upland Heritage for thirty years until his passing in 2020.
Dave was a tremendous force and gave unwavering commitment to everything he did in life. In addition to being Founder and President Emeritus of the Upland Historical Preservation Society/Upland Heritage, he was an Olympic level Speed Skater in his youth, a Firefighter for 37 years, and served as an Upland City Planning Commissioner, an Upland City Councilman, the Police Foundation Treasurer, and the President of Cooper Regional History Museum.
Dave was someone who thrived on helping others. His passion for Upland was steadfast and his spirit will live on in the many lives and city he has touched. Dave had a mission for preserving the history around us. Therefore, it is with reverence and honor we name this award, The Dave Stevens Preservation Award, after Dave Stevens of Upland, CA. He has left a wonderful legacy of which Upland citizens can be proud.
I. Criteria for Nomination of Award
· For achievement in the preservation of a historic resource either interior or exterior, that is in keeping with the historic character of that resource and excellent example of architectural styles’ colors, details, materials or craftsmanship.
· For achievement in the restoration or preservation of landscaping of a historic resource and using typical landscaping of that particular style or time period.
· For achievements in ongoing preservation of a historic resource including on-going maintenance, preservation and exemplary stewardship.
· For distinguished leadership in the preservation of Upland’s heritage.
II. Properties Eligible for a Dave Stevens Preservation Award should have one of the following:
· Property listed on the Upland Historic Survey
· Property in the Upland Historic District
· Property 50 years old or older that exhibit iconic features of the era
· Property on the National, State or Local Register
· Designated Historic Landmark
III. Selection Process: All nominations are submitted to Upland Heritage for review.
Upland Heritage will research the submissions to determine the recipients of the awards. Certificates will be awarded, and honor acknowledged at a special event, such as an Upland
City Council meeting, Upland Heritage Progressive Dinner or Restoration Workshop.